Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Waumbek

Trailhead
Hi!!!

Wow, I have three whole trips to catch up on! The First one I’ll tell you about was my #9: Mount Waumbek. This mountain is up north, but not the most northly mountain. That one is Cabot but we didn’t do it yet.

This was a nice and easy hike. It was over 7 miles but it did not get steep and wasn’t very rocky either. It is dog friendly! I met 3 labs that were running all over the trail WITHOUT carrying their own backpacks. I just kept going with my people because we were on a mission to summit this mountain!
Trees



My people on this trip were my Laura, my Moriah, and the New Kid. We were Team Red because we wore red! The girls wore red bandanas to match my red feather and backpack.  I don’t like wearing bandanas when I’m hiking because it gets hot. My fur stays out of my eyes on its own. Anyway, the New Kid did really good since it was her first big-mountain! I liked teaching someone my size what to do on the trail. She loved me. 

Starr King Marker
Fireplace on Mount Starr King
Back to the trail. It is just one trail so you shouldn’t get lost. It is called the Mount Starr King Trail because someone decided that Mount Starr King is cooler than Waumbek even though Waumbek is taller and is the one that counts. There is a spring right next to the trail maybe halfway up where I got a good drink even though I brought my own water. At the first top, Mount Star King has a marker in a rock and then a fireplace around the corner. We stopped at the fireplace clearing for lunch before going on to bag Waumbek. Bag means you put it in a bag, but I don’t know how you are supposed to put a mountain in a bag!!  That would be a really REALLY big bag.

To go to Waumbek, you keep going on the Mount Starr King Trail which is hiding to the
Waumbek pile of rocks in the woods!
right of the fireplace. They don’t even change the name when you keep going to Waumbek! It doesn’t have a cool marker at the top either, just a big pile of rocks in the woods. If you want to see something besides trees, you can go just a little bit further past the pile of rocks. We did but it was cloudy and blurry in the distance. We turned around and it dripped on us. The humans put on rain coats and it stopped. After the hike, we finished up by finding a river to do a foot dunk! It was nice and cold and refreshing.

Post-hike foot dip


Extry photos:



Created with flickr slideshow.

Bye!

~Frisco


Waumbek
Elevation: 4,006 ft
Trails: Mt Starr King Trailf
Distance: 7.2 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment