Friday, August 29, 2014

Falling Waters Loop

Hi!!!
one of many waterfalls

Lincoln and Lafayette were my first 5,000 footers! But they still count on the list for 4,000 footers even though they are really 5,000 footers. This is confusing. Anyway, they are the 6th and 7th highest peaks in New Hampshire and they are #10 and #11 that I have done!

We hiked these mountains using the falling waters loop. It is very popular and had lots of people even though we didn’t go on the weekend. We started by going up the Falling Waters Trail. You can probably guess that there are waterfalls on this trail! There is plenty of water to drink for at least halfway up to the ridge. You also get wet feet a lot because the trail is next to the river and crosses it a few times. There was one spot that I needed a boost because it was slippery steep steps cut into a rock. Other than that, it was a fun trail.


Rocking out in my hiking boots!


When you get to the ridge you are actually on Little Haystack Mountain. Even though that one is a 4,000 footer, it doesn’t count on The List. I don’t know who makes the rules. We had a snack and then put on my hiking boots! This was the first time I have worn my boots on a big-mountain. They protect my paws from the sharp rocks and lichens. I like getting extra attention for being a super-cool hiking dog in boots.

The ridge is above tree line.
made it to Lafayette!
That means there are no trees up there! The clouds came over the ridge the whole time we were hiking across. It also started raining hard and there was even a little big of hail. I said we should just keep going since we were above tree line and had to go a long way and didn’t know how long it would last. We only took a few quick pictures in between the rain showers and at both peaks. Of course it stopped raining when we were finally going down again. We took the Greenleaf trail to Greenleaf hut and had lunch, dried out, and looked up at the cloud-free ridge.


sunny on the way down
After the hut you take the Old Bridle Path. It is supposed to be a trail for horses or at least it was when it wasn’t Old. I’ve met some horses and they are a lot bigger than me, but I don’t think they could get up and down the top half of that trail. I think being shorter made it easier on the steep stuff because I had better balance than the humans. Halfway down it got much better and maybe horses could still do it.






 





Check out my other photos!


Created with flickr slideshow.





Bye!

~Frisco

Lincoln, Lafayette
Elevation: 5,089 ft, 5,260 ft
Trails: Falling Waters Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail, Greenleaf Trail, Old Bridle Path
Distance: 8.9 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment